Monday, July 04, 2005

Fourth of July in Mongolia

Happy 4th of July to all! Unfortunately, it's not a holiday here, so we put in a full day of work. I am proud to report that I am becoming a master roofer. I spent the entire morning and part of the afternoon putting a roof on one of the houses we're building any my supervisor, Naraa, was very pleased with my facility with the hammer. So, too, were my teammates. Frankly, I was rather surprised at how well I was able to pound these 6" nails in -- mostly because they're made of such a soft material that they're constantly bending.

Later in the afternoon, I switched to the flooring division and helped lay a sub-floor in another house. The levels, plumb lines, carpenter's pencils and metric tape measures I brought are being used constantly.

We're working on a big plain atop one of the low-lying hills that surround Erdenet. It just rolls forever and the sky is so blue and the clouds so white and beautiful.

Food continues to beg description. Breakfast every morning consists of two slices of white bread with a small dollop of horse pate and a cup of weak tea. It's not enough to send us out to a full day of work, so we are commandeering the kitchen as of tomorrow morning, buying groceries and making our own breakfasts.

Had a very interesting luch today at the site (Usually one of our transport vans goes into town and gets takeout for us, enabling us to work on site.). Today, it was yak schnitzel with rice and an odd sort of cole slaw. Very chewy and with a very game-y taste. I gave mine to one of the guys.

We find we need things we hadn't brought, such as knee pads for kneeling while hammering and sawing. A quick visit to the store across the street provided us with cotton balls. These we combined with duct tape and twine to make very servieable -- and somewhat less stylish -- knee pads. Worked great.

The money that was supposed to have been wired to us here from Habitat in the States still has not arrived. Hopefully, tomorrow.

The Mongolians are very lovely to work with and we are learning a bit more Mongolian every day. Who knows? Maybe we'll be fluent by the time we return!!

Would kill for some Jack Tarr ribs or a good hamburger! Met two Irishmen from County Galway this morning, who spend most of their time traveling in Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and the like examining the local methods of butchering meats. All of these countries want to be able to sell their meat (well, okay, not the yak, camel, horse or marmot meat!) to EU countries, but their butchery methods aren't quite up to EU standards yet. Although most meat sold in the three main cities is supposed to be okay, everywhere else it is apparently riddled with parasites and all sorts of other things that can make you very sick. Hopefully, we're getting the good stuff.

Saw a church spire rising out of Erdenet the other day and was told it was a Mormon church! Imagine -- in the land of Shamans. Go figure!

That's it for now. More later.

Margo

5 comments:

nabetz said...

Margot, i've seen that mormon church building in Erdenet. I also saw the fairhaired and cravatted mormon kids that went with it. we only exchanged icy stares (it was January, after all) as we walked past one another. My family lives within view of the building.

nabetz said...

I meant "Margo." Sorry :)

Margo said...

Dear Nabetz:

I couldn't believe when I checked my blog and found a message from you -- from right here in Erdenet!!

I'm with a group of 13 people from all over the United States who are helping needy families in Erdenet build homes through Habitat for Humanity. It's hard work, but we're accomplishing a lot and we enjoy the Mongolian people we're working with very much. We're staying at the Selenge Hotel until Sunday, when we return to UB to attend the Naadam festivities then go to a ger camp for a few days. We return to the States on July 15.

What do you do here in Erdenet? Your English is excellent!!

Kind regards,

Maro

nabetz said...

Margo,

Sorry, I didn't see your response until just now (11/29/2005)! I have Mongolian family (by marriage) in Erdenet, but I myself do not live there. I visted early this year for the first time and found it much to my liking. I hope your visit there was as pleasant as was mine.

I'm a native English speaker, if that explains any particular felicity with English on my part. I run a blog on Mongolia, BTW: http://newmongols.blogspot.com if you're interested.

samraat said...

sangambayard-c-m.com